memento mori28 minutes
"A man sets out to draw the world. As the years go by, he peoples a space with images of provinces, kingdoms, mountains, bays, ships, islands, fishes, rooms, instruments, stars, horses, and individuals. A short time before he dies, he discovers that the patient labyrinth of lines traces the lineaments of his own face." — Jorge Luis Borges
A meditation on (im)mortality, mediated by a lifetime of images.
"Canadian filmmaker, photographer and multimedia artist Dan Browne's visually stunning memento mori creates a vast sprawling memory well that uses thousands of images that celebrate and construct life itself. What begins as a rush of visual stimulation rapidly becomes something more complex, unique and personal as rhythms and themes emerge and vanish. These elements are dictated as much by the viewer's unconscious interpretation of the medium as the actual images presented and by their affect on the audience." — Sofie Verdoodt, Art Cinema OFFoff
"A complex and engaging work." — Mike Everleth, Underground Film Journal
"Life-affirming." — Vincent Pollard, Exclaim Magazine
- Jury Prize - Best Canadian Work, WNDX Festival of Moving Image 2012
- First Prize (Experimental Category), Athens International Festival of Film + Video 2013
- Deluxe Cinematic Vision Award, Images Festival 2013
- "The Memory Palace", WNDX Festival of Moving Image, Winnipeg, MB - Sept. 28th, 2012.
- "Superimposition", IMA Gallery, Toronto, Jan. 9th - Feb. 2nd, 2013.
- "Motion Pictures", International Film Festival Rotterdam, Netherlands, Jan. 25th & 27th, 2013.
- "Experimental Landscapes," Athens International Film + Video Festival, Ohio - April 15th, 2013.
- "Before Our Eyes," Images Festival, Toronto, ON - April 18th, 2013.
- "Experimente: Granular Cocktail," Filmfest Dresden, Dresden, Germany - April 18th & 20th, 2013.
- "Transmission Attempts," European Media Arts Festival, Osnabrück, Germany - April 24-28th, 2013.
- HASTAC 2013: The Storm of Progress, York University, Toronto - April 27th, 2013.
- "Memories are Made of This," Art Cinema OFFoff, Gent, Belgium - April 29th, 2013.
- Milwaukee Underground Film Festival, Milwaukee, USA - May 3-5th, 2013.
- Darkwalkers, The Rainbow Palace, Toronto, ON - May 22nd, 2013.
- "A/Visions 1," MUTEK, Monument National, Montréal, QC - May 29th, 2013.
- "International Experimental Showcase", Revelation Film Festival, Perth, Australia - July 14th, 2013.
- Cinema City International Film Festival, Novi Sad, Serbia - August 26, 2013.
- EXiS Experimental Film and Video Festival, Seoul, South Korea - September 6-12, 2013.
- Light Cone Preview Show, Paris, France - September 11-13, 2013.
- Winnipeg Design Festival, installation curated by Jaimz Asmundson, Winnipeg, MB - September 21, 2013.
- "Experiments 2," Festival de nouveau cinéma, Montréal, QC - October 15 & 18, 2013.
- Jihlava International Documentary Film Festival, Jihlava, Czech Republic - October 24-29, 2013.
- "HYPNAGOGIA, SENSORIA, AMERICANA, (DISTURBIA)," curated by Jonathan Caouette, Wythe Cinema, Brooklyn, NY - February 28th, 2014.
- "Mid-Length MUFF," Montreal Underground Film Festival, Montréal, QC - May 24th, 2014.
View the entire film here.